Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

We had our stuff damaged by a removalist and they are refusing

Customer Question

Hi we had our stuff damaged by a removalist and they are refusing to pay for anything because we did not have protection for the goods. I want to sue them. There is over $1000 worth of damage.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon, My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.Did you have insurance with them about the damage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
I cannot call you we can continue here if you like.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No insurance. That should not mean it's ok for them to damage all your stuff.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon, Then you have to sue them for negligence. This will be in the local court or VCAT for damages. You send them a letter of demand and photos of the issues and request payments of the money. If they refuse to pay then you sue them in VCAT
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much will it cost me, what chances do I have. Do I have to appear in court.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
You do it yourself. If you use a solicitor it will cost you more than $1,000.00 to have the action drafted. Send the letter of demand give them 14 days to pay. Also look at the contract and what it says about damage to your items. If they packed them they are liable.