Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

In January of this year my 13 year de facto relationship ended.

Customer Question

In January of this year my 13 year de facto relationship ended. The past 8-9years we had purchased and built a house which we lived in together, I did not put any money down initially,but had contributed in every other way that a person in a de facto relationship would. Whether it was bills,furniture,concreting,lawn,groceries etc. For the past 20-22months I was paying absolutely everything including the mortgage. She says I'm entitled to nothing as I didn't put any money initially down. Where do I stand and what if any are my chances of seeing a financial settlement. As I have moved States to try and rebuild my life and as a43year old with 2 children whom I have access to,I would like to be in a more stable financial position. I'm very worried because don't have money to throw around and my worldly possessions are a $4000 car and my clothes. Need help to start over again.Thank you.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello13 years is what is considered a lengthy marriage / de facto.Thus you are entitled to at the very least 40% of the home, alone, based on what you have said.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's all of my response?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
No, just as intro
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
In respect of the matter, you would be entitled to 40% of the value of the home. I would suggest that you speak to him / her and have them pay you out that value.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
http://www.familycourt.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/fcoaweb/forms-and-fees/court-forms/form-topics/applications/initiating-applicationIf they do not agree you can file in court.