Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I purchased a new car on monday. On thursday at 4pm I called

Customer Question

I purchased a new car on monday. On thursday at 4pm I called the dealer and cooled off, then emailed him saying i want to cool off. the manager called me and tried to convince me to take the purchase. i said i may go into the dealership to have another look at the car and test drive it (i never test drove it, bought in a hurry, felt pressured). i then asked if there is any way to extend the cooling off period, he said we could till friday. he then emailed me saying 'this is confirming we will extend the cooling off period to tomorrow, looking forward to showing you the car then'
i replied in writing saying:
Yes thanks for the follow up call and acceptance of my option to exercise the cooling off period. As you said on the phone, you want your customers to love the vehicle and I too would like to love the vehicle. Even after you explained all the features of the A4 I still wasn't 100% on the vehicle and I don't want to go ahead while having some doubt as it is a large purchase which I'll be driving for many years so I would like to confirm that I am cooling off.
I know we said I'd come in tomorrow to have another look and reconsider, I'd like to come in, but I don't want to feel pressured into reconsidering the purchase. I feel the A3 is more suitable for my lifestyle and would like to look into this option.
I hope this means i am clear to cool off? I don't want them to turn around and say that I changed my mind on the phone.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning, My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.Did you make the request for the extension in writing and did they respond in writing?You can use the email you sent to them as evidence of the discussion but you should have asked them to confirm that the cooling off is extended to X date. When are you expected to go in and see the car again?