Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I own an acreage in South Australia and have offered to allow

Customer Question

I own an acreage in South Australia and have offered to allow a couple of people to go and cut some firewood for their private use. As the use of chainsaws and axes are part of this arrangement do I need to have any kind of a Indemnity Waiver signed should someone hurt themselves whilst on my property?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon, My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.You should have public liability insurance on the land in general just in case anyone enters and is hurt. Apart form that you do not owe them any other duty of care but you should put in place an agreement where they agree they will not hold you liable for any injuries or damage and also confirming that they have a right to be on the land and for what purpose. It should also set out that if they do anything wring and people sue that they will keep you indemnified against any claims and that they will also have any appropriate insurance is in place to cover you if anyone is injured as a result of their access to the property and then cutting down the trees. But you should also have your own public liability insurance just in case.I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a standard form that can be used?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon, There is no standard form.We draft them from scratch. You can download some draft deeds from links like the following:http://www.bresnehan.com/businesstemplates/There are a few sites that thou can get them from.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This link does not contain what we have discussed.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good EveningNot sure what went wrong there.Here is another site. http://www.smokeball.com.au/general-deed-of-indemnity/preview/precedent/9624-52494001Be aware that you will have to amend the document to suit your needs. You will not find exactly what you need. You may even want to contact your insurer and their legal department may give you something that they will be happy with.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning.
I'm just following up our discussion earlier this week and seeing whether there is anything else I can assist you with.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know.
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards