Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

My father was admitted to hospital three weeks ago. Two of

Customer Question

My father was admitted to hospital three weeks ago. Two of my sisters are going for enduring guardianship and financial guardianship. However because our names were crossed off the original forms when my dad was admitted to hospital the doctor in charge of him now advises us that because we are not next of kin we cannot obtain information on his mental and physical capacity. We want this to go to the Public Trustee and stop any of the sisters in obtaining any enduring or financial guardianship due to past experience and there person past history. I would appreciate any assistance.
Thankyou Ethna Page
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
HelloWhy is he admitted?Does he even have capacity to now decide to have the sisters be guardians?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had a turn and a few minor seizures they were monitoring him for stroke symptoms. He is 91 years of age however he has not appointed anyone for enduring guardianship or financial guardianship we have already checked with his solicitor( thursday 18th June. He has not had an age assessment done on him as yet because he walked out on the meeting with the doctors, social worker, when they tried to do one at Gosford Hospital on the 16th June 2015. The two sisters who are applying for these positions took our names off the origingal admittance forms and now because of that we are not classified as next of kin (even though dad is fully aware of us been his daughters) they will not give us any reports on his mental or physical status
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Well the Hospital is in error to not make you next of kin also, no judgement has been made, nor reappointment. I strongly suggest speaking with the staff there, as well as complain to the ombudsman.https://www.ombo.nsw.gov.au/