Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Q-we transport our own potable water & the Narromine council

Customer Question

Q-we transport our own potable water & the Narromine council is setting up a draft policy which states that to do this ,we will be classed as water carriers. Their definition of this though , is someone who sells on water. We do not . we cart water to our own properties . We supply our own farms with potable water. Can council make us follow this policy ?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good MorningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.They can try but if you object you have to write to them and make a complaint. If this fails then you can seek to take it to court. If the definition says that you must be selling water and you are not selling water then you do not meet the definition.But you can challenge it and you should be making your objections to the council and the relevant state ministers in writing. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Leon, thanks for your advise . I have written up a letter stating detailsthat you have outlined for us to do. The Narromine council wishes for the submission letter to be sent only to the general manager. Should I trust the general manger with our submission or should i indeed send it to the water minister for nsw, if that's where i need to send it.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning. You send it to the General manager and keep a copy. If they have advertised the change the letter you have been sent should say who your objections should be sent to. I would also send a copy to the Minister and your local member of the state government and federal government. They cannot stop you getting others involved. The more people you tell the better. Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cheers for that ! There are plenty of disgruntled farmers out here , so more the merrier hey ! Thanks again.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning.The more that complain the better
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon
I'm just following up our discussion earlier this week and seeing whether there is anything else I can assist you with.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know.
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards