Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I rented a car, dents and scratches noted, when I returned

Customer Question

I rented a car, dents and scratches noted, when I returned the car they pointed to a dent and said it's not on the paperwork, yet I know it was there when I picked up the car, there are dents above this dent that where not marked, and yet they said they knew about them, do I have a leg to stand on. Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good AfternoonMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.Did they give you a copy of the paperwork that you signed? You have a right to see that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have the paperwork, it says I am liable for any damages of up to 2500.00, but several dents were not noted .
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,Why were they not noted? When you rent a car they are supposed to go around the car with you and mark all dents and before you sign it you are to confirm that they have all been noted.If they were not noted why did you agree that what was noted was the true condition of the car? This is a huge issue because by signing it you say that the notations were the only dents.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure. I guess that's bot***** *****ne. Thanks. ***** able to get quotes for the damage, just so I know they are not passing off to a friend who will give an over inflated quote .
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
It is going to be very hard to prove that they were there. Your signature confirms that the notations are the only dents. You can ask about getting them fixed yourself but it is up to them to decide and if you do they will possibly charge you for the time the car is off the road and not with them. The excess you are paying is for the insurer and you agreed to the amount. I hope this makes sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure. Last thing, the car was 27.00 a day plus insurance that took it up to 44.00 a day, what is that insurance for, or cover.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon, Was that $44.00 to reduce the excess?Or the premium to be insured and the excess of $2,500.00 What does the contract say?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's nothing I can do really, I overlooked the car inspection and signed the papers. Thankyou.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,I am sorry but that is you position. You are very welcome and thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon
I'm just following up our discussion earlier this week and seeing whether there is anything else I can assist you with.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know.
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards