Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I was caught shoplifing. This is my first offence I

Customer Question

Hello, I was caught shoplifing. This is my first offence I was wondering would it be worth getting a lawyer and also what are the possibilities of pleading guilty and not getting a conviction or a mark on my permanent record
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good EveningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.If you do not feel confident enough to do it yourself get a solicitor to assist and they will work towards getting you no conviction being recorded on your criminal record. If you are convicted you will have a record and it will affect you travelling. You may be eligible for legal aid and you can call them and they'll let you know what to do. Here is there website.http://www.lsc.sa.gov.auIf they wont then you can get a private Solicitor. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning,
I'm just following up our discussion earlier this week and seeing whether there is anything else I can assist you with.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know.
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I was wondering how long it usually takes to receive a court summons. Thanks

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon, For a criminal matter it all depends on how quickly the police act.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What would happen if I change my address during this time?

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon, It does not matter, the police will have to find you and serve you at the new address. Once served you will then have to appear in court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would I be able to ask how that would happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would that happen?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,They would search the RTA etc to find you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once a summon is served how long after is the court date usually set?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good MorningThe summons will have the date on it. At that date you will be asked toy plead guilty or not guilty. You have to be served before the court date. There is no set period before.