Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

What chance have I got on defamation of character against my

Customer Question

what chance have I got on defamation of character against my ex partner and her sister in law have in them tell and text every telling them that I am a useless drug dealing drug addict and that I am a no good father. as my ex wife said this to many many people while she was still with me 4 at least 18months making $800 worth phone calls in January 2014 and then $900 worth of calls in august 2014 not including all the text massages sent to others from her mobile phone of which I have the right to get all the records from and can call more than 50-100 people of whom have had this said to them including her own family and friends and as a result I lost and could get any work from this area of the community as I am a self employed handyman of which most of my the time work is by word of mouth and the ex wife also never told any of her friends that I was even though a hand full of them needed work done and I found this out when we would go to there homes and were talking to them. and in my ex wife's own words "i never thought to say or tell them that you were a handyman" and this as we were struggling financially and I was just starting out.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  James D. Ford replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Before I start on the potential defamation claim... can you please advise when you separated and the length of time you were both together living on a genuine domestic basis? I assume you have children together, please confirm... and advise if you have agreed on child custody and parenting arrangements? Have you both reached a binding property settlement agreement? how was this reached? I await your responses to the above... and will advise you accordingly... then we can discuss the defamation claim - I hope that is OK.. as I need to understand whether you have these matters sorted first.. otherwise the defamation claim may not achieve much.. if that makes sense... Kind regards, James
I will also offer a phone call if that would make the process easier, cheers, James