Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

We are a cheerleading gym small business which purchased cheer

Customer Question

We are a cheerleading gym small business which purchased cheer uniforms from the Phillipines last year we then reordered more from the same lady this year and paid alot of money for them. We then received very threatening emails saying from her ex husband/ business partner saying they had broken up and he wanted us to give him her bank account details where we paid the money in for the uniforms or he would take us to court for copywright. We designed the uniforms and there was no mention of any copywright or legal documents the emails were very demanding and threatening .
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.
He has no copyright action available to him.
You have nothing to fear.
He has done nothing. Had he designed the uniforms he can seek payment for his work but as he has done nothing then he has no right or action.
His ex wife simply made the uniforms and if they make more and sell them to others you can sue for breach of copyright as you own the design.
If you have not received the uniforms for the second order then you have a right to sue in the Philippines the person you paid for the uniforms to get your money back.
I hope this makes sense and is of assistance?