Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Leon i am obligated to return to nz reasons

Customer Question

Hi leon i am obligated to return to nz for personal reasons but have around 50000 debt that I cant pay and wont be able to in NZ, what's my best option, there's no way I can pay this off a work friend said to declare myself bankrupt , I won't ever be returning to Australia, please help
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
You owe the money in Australia?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes sorry the money is owed in Australia

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good MorningIf you declare bankruptcy here you will not be allowed to leave. If they sue you hear and get judgement they can register the judgement in NZ and declare you bankrupt in NZ.If you have no assets in NZ this will not matter and you should just leave.I hope this makes sense?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning,
I'm just following up our discussion earlier this week and seeing whether there is anything else I can assist you with.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know.
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards