Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

When a strip and seal of a supermarket floor is being undertaken...

Customer Question

when a strip and seal of a supermarket floor is being undertaken... is the cleaning contractor responsible for the safet of the store staff as well as cleaning staff..in other words is the cleaner responsible to notify the store staff that the floor is going to be slippery
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
They should put signs to say that it is slippery yes.
If the staff are not aware and they are injured because of the contractors action or omission then he can be held liable.
I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the contractor is saying it was not his responsibilty to notify the store staff that the strip and seal was in progress and the store is saying they are not responsible for notify their staff ..that it was the contractors repsonseibilty..what is the industry code of practice in these circumstances
a store personell slipped on the floor because there were no safety signs and store management were not notified the strip and seal had commenced
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
He has been paid to do the work. He has to make sure that the place is safe for people that work there and also innocent third parties.
He should have public liability insurance for anyone that may enter and get hurt as a result of his work
Did he advise management that it would be slippery and tell them they have to make sure that staff and patrons are warned? Were there any warning signs put up?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
I'm just following up our discussion earlier this week and seeing whether there is anything else I can assist you with.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards