Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I need some advice i have a Business that is connected

Customer Question

Hi, I need some advice i have a Business that is connected to another large fruit & vegetable and meat store, in 2013 we entered into a 5 year lease but the connecting shop closed down after we had been in our shop for 10 months and has been empty ever since, their was no warning they were closing down they were closed in 2 days so now it has destroyed our business. The Landlord said he didn't know anything about it closing down but he still expects us to pay rent he even put the rent up last December. As we are not making enough money i have not been able to pay rent and all the extra charges they charge so now he has come in and gave us a letter saying we have a week to pay rent or he will lock up our business. We feel that we shouldn't have to be liable for paying rent as the Landlord has been no help to us and he constantly gives us false hopes and lies. All i know is i am going to lose everything we have worked so hard for and our house. Can you please help us? Thanks
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Are you in any way connected to the other business?
Do you pay for the whole premises?