Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I am a nurse working department of health wa

Customer Question

I am a nurse working for the department of health wa as the coordinator for infection prevention and management at a leading hospital in South Perth. Yesterday I was suspended from duty due to an allegation of misconduct. I have until Monday the 15th June to respond. I would like to know where I can get help with the response to the allegations in order to try and prevent me from loosing my job.
Thank you.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
Are the allegations true then have you been given a list of them?
Have you been informed that you can have an independent support person at the meeting with you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a list of the allegations some of them are true but I did not realise that they were an offence. Others were done inadvertently and due to unreasonable pressures and expectations on my work load. I have been accused of downloading and reproducing another companies policies.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,
Does the hospital or health care service have a policy that you are supposed to be following in relation to some of these?
The downloading and reproducing and other companies policies is a breach of copyright and this very serious offence under the Copyright act.
This could put the hospital into a very high risk of possible legal action for your breaches.
Can you provide any evidence that you were suffering from added pressure that affected your work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not been informed that I can have an independent person at the meeting with me. I have also been advised this is to be completely confidential but I think my workforce are aware as I have received communication from one of the eluding to knowing something. I have not responded
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,
You need to request more time so that you can respond to the allegations, and I would suggest that you speak to a solicitor with the union, if you belong to one, and request that they attend at the meeting.
You are in danger of being terminated as it appears to me what you have done can put the department in a very difficult situation legally.
In relation to other issues with your work again, you should address each one and if you are having issues with stress and you can provide some form of medical support this will assist you.
You are unable to do this with such short notice.
I would also suggest if the Department has policies relating to work practices you obtain copies of them and provide them to the solicitor that you will speak to.
But your first point of call will be to call the union and ask for their assistance in this matter.
If you do not have a union then you will need to contact the Law Society Western Australia and ask them for a referral to a solicitor the practices in employment law.
Their website is as follows:
https://www.lawsocietywa.asn.au
I hope this makes sense and is of assistance?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
I'm just following up our discussion earlier this week and seeing whether there is anything else I can assist you with.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know.
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards