Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

My firm has found out that I have been embezzling. Their accountant

Customer Question

My firm has found out that I have been embezzling. Their accountant wants me to turn over any personal bank account details and to get copies of my bank statements for the time I have worked there.
Should I do this and be cooperative or wait until charged?Also what are those charges and penalties likely to be, and should I engage a lawyer and which type before they happen?
Thanks
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
It is a serous matter and before you do anything you should get yourself a Solicitor that practices in criminal law and have them liaise with them.
How much money are we talking about and over how long has this been going on? How many times in all have you taken money?
Are you an employee?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am an employee. $100,000 approx. Over a year.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are implying that if I cooperate and make it easy for them then they may be able to work out a way for me to repay and not get charged.
I am not sure I believe that, but even if I do then I cannot repay it, the money is gone. So I assume charges will follow. So they want my bank details at 9am in 30 minutes. Do i help them and hope my cooperation is looked upon favourably, or refuse and wait to get charged.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon
Your cooperation will be seen as a good thing. The courts will take that into consideration
They may be implying that they will not have you charged but I can tell you that they will have you charged.
If they have not indicated what they know I would ask fro more information.
Do not refuse to cooperate but get a solicitor to assist you with this as you need to get this done correctly.
The following link gives you details of what the courts have done in similar cases where employees have stolen form their employers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou but there is no link.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
My apologies
http://www.dpp.wa.gov.au/_files/Steal_as_servant.pdf