Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I have been employed at the Bendigo and Adelaide Bank from

Customer Question

I have been employed at the Bendigo and Adelaide Bank from 2002-2008 as a full-time Customer Service Officer, Customer Relationship Officer and Supervisor.
I resigned May 2008 to pursue another opportunity which was unsuccessful and was re-employed at the end of 2008 as a casual Relief Customer Service Officer.
I have been employed on a regular basis, rostered to cover permanent staff annual leave and planned sick days, as well as on-call when required. There are currently three other permanent relief staff members. I was the only casual.
This is my seventh year as a casual and my annual gross income has always been over $20K. My year to date for 2014-2015 is $8K.
I had expressed my desire for full-time status two years ago and applied for a position in which I was unsuccessful and the position was given to a Branch Manager who wanted part-time hours.
Since January this year I have worked 48 hours, with 22 of these hours to complete retail training and tick me off the list so to speak.
In March I had a meeting with my Supervisor to inquire why the sudden lack of hours and was told "staff aren't taking annual leave" and that if branch staff were away sick that they would have to cope without relief if they were not performing.
I have my personal super with Bendigo Staff Super, my health insurance with Aust. Unity which offers bank staff discount, and two Insurance policies which offers staff discount. I was puzzled when my Supervisor asked me "Do you have your Health Insurance with us?"
My Superannuation has stalled with no contributions .I have no income, and my morale is low making it difficult to motivate myself and seek alternative employment at my age of 60.
I am very happy working with the bank and had forged many long time friendships with staff and customers.
The feedback from Branch Managers and customers was always positive and I felt a valued member of any branch I was asked to relieve.
Thank you for taking the time, and I look forward to any advice you may be able to offer.
Sincerely *****
22 Templeton Cres
Douglas Qld 4814
0432 290 338 (M)
I
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
I am sorry to hear about what has been happening.
Do you think there is an issue between you and the branch manager?
Are you seeing that people are not taking annual leave?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no issue whatsoever with branch managers, they have been requesting my relief for some time and they have been told "There is no relief available" All Managers are happy to have me called in and have expressed pleasure at my presence.Regarding people not taking annual leave, I was told by a staff member that yes some are taking annual leave, and I know of one recently and currently one is overseas.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
There is not much that can be done as you are a causal and there is no guarantee as to hours.
In relation to the ones that are away did they get someone else to replace them or are they expecting the others to work more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are covering annual leave with existing permanent relief staff, with regards ***** ***** shortages when someone is away sick, they are expecting others to work more. This is the feedback I am getting from stressed work collegues
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
If that is the case there is very little that you can do.
Are you prepared to work ion other branches?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is across all four branches, I am never assigned to any one branch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All four Branch Managers have requested relief, all four branches are extremely happy with me
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
I am sorry there is very little that can be done.
You can speak to head office and see if they can offer you anything.
But other than that you are not guaranteed any work.
I am sorry I cannot offer you anything more positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's o.k. Leon, I appreciate your time, thank you and have a good day.Please close my account.Regards
Angela
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
All the best
You are very welcome and thank you for using my services.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
Regards