Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I'm getting charged with larceny as a clerk in the amount

Customer Question

Hi I'm getting charged with larceny as a clerk in the amount of $8000 on 10 offenses. Before they gave me my court notice I already admitted to the police I did it. So I'm guilty, is there a point in bringing a lawyer to the case when I know I'm guilty and I just want to cop whatever punishment they give me? And do you have any idea what type punishment it will be? Need some advice thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question
The reason you would have a solicitor represent you is to try and mitigate the penalty.
They will tell you what you should obtain by way of references and from who and will be able to explain why it happened and why you did it.
If you feel confident enough to do it your self then you can represent yourself.
It is a very serious offence and the courts are not very lenient.
It has a maximum jail term of 10 years.
Here is the section.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/ca190082/s156.html
The court would only give you a jail term as a last resort. You will have to pay back the money and if you have started that would be in your favour.
Court would possibly give you a fine but it all depends on what the facts are.
I would suggest you have a solicitor represent you.
If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The company was covered by insurance so would I still have to pay it back?? And would you recommend I get a reference from someone? I currently am a department manager at Coles would a reference of my boss help?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
If the court orders that you pay it back you will have to pay it back.
If you do not want to pay it back and this is referred to the court it will show you have no remorse and it will go against you.
Even paying it off will show you in a better light.
You do not have to pay it back now but you should make an offer to pay it back in instalments this will assist the court in being more lenient.
If you have stolen from Coles, I don't know whether they will give you a good reference but you can ask.
I hope this makes sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The stealing was from my previous job, and my current job at coles has nothing to do with the court case and they are fully aware of what has happened, would a reference from them help?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
Yes that reference will work for you.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening
I'm just following up our discussion earlier this week and seeing whether there is anything else I can assist you with.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards