Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

My fiance & I have recently had a baby, I am not the biological

Customer Question

My fiance & I have recently had a baby, I am not the biological father of our child but we have been together for the entire pregnancy. Right from the start I stated that I wanted to raise this child as my own 100% & insitsted that my name be put on the birth certificate as her biological father. So when she was born we did exactly that. I am fully aware of any & all parental responsibilities. I am totally committed to providing everything required. I knowingly & willingly gave my full consent. Under Australian law can or is there any legal repercussions that could get us in trouble? The biological father of our daughter was aware that she was pregnant & is now trying to make contact. My fiance doesn't want anything to do with him but has never denied he is the biological father. We just want to raise our daughter & build a strong loving family together.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
Does the biological father want to be part of the childs life?
He has rights and responsibilities unless he allows you to adopt the child.