Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I recently wrote a letter to my manager requesting to

Customer Question

Hello, I recently wrote a letter to my manager requesting to not work Saturday's anymore. My family situation requires me to be with my five children. I am in a leadership role at work and I have been committed to working Saturday's for the last seven years. My family and I have always revolved our lives around my work and for the most part, it has been ok. At this point my kids, aged 14, 13, 11, 9 and 7 are at an age where Saturday activities such as dance classes, football and rugby games are too much for my wife to handle on her own. We find ourselves having to leave some of our kids at home alone and/or dropping one off and picking them up at a later time so that my wife can take another elsewhere. To make a long story short, my manager said that my request is denied and that only way I can get Saturday's off is to quit or step down from leadership role. Should I just accept that? Please help
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Evening
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
So what happens when you take leave, does the place stop on weekends?
Are there other leaders that work there and are they all there on saturdays?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are 6 of us leading hands at work on Saturday's and 2 salaried managers. 2 other leading hands there can do my role.
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Evening
They all work Saturdays? There is no leading hand that does not work saturdays?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The company can also, if they wanted to or choose to, train any of the other 26 leading hands to do my role.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
only 7 of us work Saturdays because it is not a busy day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my current roster is Mon Tues Fri Sat. I asked to switch Sat for any other work day.
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
You have not answered my previous question.
Do all leading hands work saturday?
Are they all required to work or can they alternate?
If the answer is they do you have an issue in getting what you want.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not all leading hands work Saturday's. Only 7 of us out of 26 work because it is not a busy day.
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
So there are 26 leading hands?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes.
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Evening
In that case they can rotate them.
Are you the only one that works every saturday?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Me and 6 other leading hands are permanently rostered on Saturday's. The others only work Mon to Fri
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is my time up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Evening
Do you believe that the work can be rotated where you do not work every saturday but work one every 6 weeks?
Do you have a union representing you?
Do you get another day off during the week for the saturday?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I believe it can be rotated. But, my manager will not agree to it. I have not gone to the union yet. Yes I have Wed Thurs off during the week. I asked to work one of those days instead of Sat, but request declined
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Evening
If others feel the same you can take the matter to Fair Work for mediation.
http://www.fairwork.gov.au/how-we-will-help/how-we-help-you/help-resolving-workplace-issues/working-with-you-to-resolve-workplace-issues
What do others think of working every saturday?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
None of us really mind working Saturdays because the loading is good. My situation has come to a point where I cannot sustain my absence from my family much longer. The options I was given in my opinion are unreasonable especially for a big company like this and a warehouse that employs over 500 staff.
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning
I understand that
It is unreasonable and this is why I am suggesting the mediation through Fair Work
He can accommodate your request and if you are prepared to work some saturdays this is a good compromise.
This is your only option as he is being pig headed.
I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.
If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
Regards