Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
61534878

This morning is was following a car as we were both going to

Customer Question

This morning is was following a car as we were both going to work. As we where traveling at 70ks as the speed limit a traffic light turned Amber. The guy in front slammed on his breaks causing me lock up my breaks and slide straight into his rear... As he got out of the car he pointed and said something about the red light camera ( he doesn't speak much English)
I believe he knows about the red light camera being there which is why I think he breaked so hard instead of worrying if it was safe to do so or not.
I did not loose concertration at all and I believe I was travelling a good distance away from him.. He drives a small car while I drive a large 4x4 towing a heavy trailer
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, the law is quite clear under the driving rules that a following driver must keep a safe distance from lead cars, which effectively means that the distance must be sufficient to avoid a collision if the lead car stops suddenly.
Once it is clear to the court that you collided because the car in front broke suddenly there is little doubt a court would find you responsible for the damage, and order you to pay the other parties cost of repairs.
I appreciate this is not the answer you were hoping for however it does reflect the law as it applies to your situation.
The following link will help you locate the road rules for your state, though broadly they are the same throughout the Commonwealth:
http://www.ntc.gov.au/roads/rules-compliance/about-the-australian-road-rules/
I trust the above assists your understanding.
Please rate my answer.
Patrick
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.
I note that you have not yet rated my answer.
I appreciate it was not what you were wanting to hear but I have addressed your question at some length so kindly rate my answer so that I can be paid for my services.
Thank you,
Patrick