Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

Recently i purchased a block of land.and it wasnt until

Customer Question

HI,recently i purchased a block of land.and it wasnt until the estate agent and i met to sign the contract he notified me that the block of land i purchased was in two parts firstly the 700 square metre block that i knew of (lot4)then apparently theres more which is classified as (lot 5b),this lot is almost half of the length of the street the vacant lot sits off,which means i owe half of the street as well.Now at the time he smiled and stated that its not something i would want to own, under any other circumstances it would have been a great bonus but as its supposed to be the councils,its not something i want to own,reason being is that if situations occured on this part of street i would be liable,he also stated that the council was a little embarrased about the fact they didnt know this.He asked me sign over this to the council,should i have been reembursed for it
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
Are you saying you own the nature strip?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no its a street
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
You own the road?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
half of it apparently
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you like i can fax you the plan of it
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon
Did you have a solicitor act for you?
I am concerned about this and in the Contract there should be the plan that shows what you bought.
If you own the road there should be an easement registered on your other land etc
Can you email it to***@******.***
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unable to email as i have no contract on computer just paperwork contract,dont understand what easement means,but can fax plan to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did have a surveyor assist me
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
I cannot receive faxes has to be email
If you can get the documents sent to me including a copy of the titles I can see what you have purchased.
I am concerned you did not get advise from a Solicitor on the Contract or even a conveyancer.
Do you have all the documents with you?