Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I was recently caught food in a supermarket,

Customer Question

I was recently caught for shoplifting food in a supermarket, under $150. The police took me to their office gave me two tickets. 1 to present myself to a police station within 7 days to have my photograph and finger prints taken. (this I did not do) the second was to appear in the magistrates court, which I did. I was granted a 1 year good behaviour bond and a non recorded conviction. The police are now wanting me to go in to their office at the shopping centre. She said she needs to talk to me about not getting my fingerprints done even though she has told me that they can't do it there. I feel like its a trick. Do I have to get photos and fingerprints. And do they have to tell me the truth over the phone to why I am required to go. Thank you
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im supposed to have an appointment in the morning at the police office at the shopping centre. I really would like to talk with someone soon. Thank you
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
If you do not go to the police you will be in breach of the law.
You can refuse to give them the photos and fingerprints and you should never attend at a police station without having a solicitor present.
If you refuse to give your fingerprints they cannot charge you but they can seek a court order that you provide them.
But you are not required to freely give them photos and fingerprints. it is your choice. It is the same as giving them a statement. You are not required to say anything but your name and address.
I hope this makes sense and if there is nothing further thank you for using my services.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you LeonCan they say that they want to talk to me about not presenting for fingerprints and then charge me with something else. Are they required to tell me over the phone why they need me to come in?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning
If they have evidence for another charge they can charge you.
But again you have a right to remain silent and say nothing.
All they have to ask you to do is to come in. They do not have to tell you the reason.