Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I have been charged with some criminal charges and tomorrow

Customer Question

I have been charged with some criminal charges and tomorrow is my first court appearance since being arrested and fronting the magistrate the following day where I was granted bail.
I haven't had the funds to engage a lawyer as yet, I've been sorting a few things out so that I can do so. The charges are quite serious and are in relation to me being a passenger in a stolen motor vehicle (unaware) where 13g of methamphetamine were found under the bonnet which I had nothing to do with.
What do I do tomorrow when I attend court without a Solicitor? Do I ask for the case to be adjourned? What do I do if they start asking me questions? Am I obligated to speak?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good MorningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.There should be a lawyer form legal aid available this morning for you to talk to. Also you will be granted an adjournment to get legal advise as it is the first time in court.Ask for an adjournment so you can apply for legal aid and see a solicitor.You can see if the legal aid solicitor will appear for you if not you will have to do the talking. You do not enter a plea. Just tell the court you have not been able to see a solicitor and need time to do so. Ask for 5 weeks to apply for legal aid.Good luck. I hope this makes sense. If their is nothing furtherthank you for using my services.If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me knowIf there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.RegardsLeon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Leon today is my aecond alleaeance. The first was the say after i was arrested. my surety only signed off until the next court date being today. Does my new surety person need to be in court for the magistrate to re grant it and can I ask them to reduce the amount?

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good AfternoonYes they do.