Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

My son has had a debt collector around at our house daily

Customer Question

Hi my son has had a debt collector around at our house daily to repossess his car even though he has not had any notices of default or phone calls from maquarie leasing. What can he do as he was told he could not ring maquarie to sort it out now it is in the repossessors hands. My son has been avoiding this man all week so he can pay what he allegedly owes. Does he have any rights pls?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good MorningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Has he missed any payments?Did they provide him with any details of who to contact?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes i do believe he has missed payments but no details of who to contact etc . Repo guy turned up again this morning. Have managed to hold him off until monday. Still no paperwork given to my son...

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good AfternoonDoes he have the contract he signed? Can he access his repayments and fix the amount he owes?Being Saturday he is not going to be able to speak to the lender, but he should do that first thing monday morning, If he can get their agreement and bring all payments up to date then they can cancel the repossession. He will also have to pay the costs of the repossession incurred to date by the lender