Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland

Our rental property was inhabited by family who had had a hard

Our rental property was inhabited by family who had had a hard time of it recently. They paid a minimal rent and there was no tenancy agreement. After 2 1/2 years, things have got much better for them, so we asked them to pay more per week and to sign a periodic tenancy agreement which stated that the tenancy, at the new rate, was to begin the next week. We all signed the document. When the first month's rent was due they only paid what they had previously paid; and when asked why they hadn't paid in full, they said that we had to give 60 day's notice of a change of rent amount. Is this true? We all agreed about the amount as well as the start date at the time.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Brisbane-Lawyer replied 4 months ago.
Is this true? We all agreed about the amount as well as the start date at the time.

Its not true, but you did need to give them 30 days notice. Giving them only one week notice that the rent was going up would not go over very well before a Magistrate if matters went that far. Unfortunately for you, now that they have signed a written tenancy agreement, they will be harder for you to get rid of than when they were month to month tenants.

My advice is to give them the full 60 days and see if they pay the rate specified in the agreement. If they don't, then immediately begin the application to end their tenancy.

If you are satisfied with my answer to your question, then please be so kind as to leave positive feedback for me so that I get credit for the time spent on your question.

Your question can continue without any additional charge even after you leave positive feedback, so should you have any follow up questions, please feel free to ask.
Experience: I did my law degree at the University of Queensland
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the info. Not quite as I had hoped but that's not your fault.

I have to be honest with you even if that means telling you what you don't want to hear. I know you are probably disappointed the transition for these family member tenants hasn't gone smoother. Hopefully, once they start abiding by the written tenancy agreement and paying the increased rent, there won't be any further issues.

Please don't forget to leave positive feedback so that I will get credit for the time spent on your question.