Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I was made redundant three and a half months ago and received

Customer Question

I was made redundant three and a half months ago and received a redundancy package some of which was tax free. What are the tax implications for me if I am now re employed by the same company?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Tax Expert replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts on JustAnswer.

Before I proceed can you clarify this question is for UK tax, as your country of origin states Australia.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's Australian tax not Uk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought I was putting my question to a Australian expert as I am Australian and work and live in Australia

George

Expert:  Tax Expert replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Your question came through into the UK tax forum, so I have sent a message to the customer services to transfer your question to the Australian tax forum, but as the site operates on USA time it may be a few hours before this is transferred.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did not receive a response

George

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon George

My name is Leon and I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.

On what basis do you say that your redundancy is tax free?

Getting a new job with the same company is irrelevant.

All income received is simply added and taxed as a whole. It doe snot change the fact your received a redundancy or the tax on that redundancy.

But redundancies are not tax free and I am surprised you said that.

Depending on how the redundancy is made up there is some tax on it.

Here is the link form the ATO

http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Working/Leaving-a-job/Redundancy-payments/