Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

I am a president of a chapter of a SOCIAL motorcycle club in

I am a president of a chapter of a SOCIAL motorcycle club in queensland. I have been asked by a local CIB detective for a list of our members. My members are against this, as we are a SOCIAL club, do I have an obligation to comply with this request, or does the local CIB need to subpoena a list of members. Am I breaching the privacy act by supplying this list? The chapter is part of an incorporated not for profit organisation.
Hello

Ignore them.

There is no way that this Detective can ask for such information.

It is completely unlawful and giving info in that regard is simply a breach of privacy.

They can only subpoena if they charge you and even then, it will be hard to argue that it is a valid subpoena.

Again, ignore them.

You are well within your rights to do so.

Please accept.