Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court

Good afternoon. 12 months ago I was promoted to a national

Good afternoon.
12 months ago I was promoted to a national role which required my family relocating to Melbourne from Brisbane. My employer paid for the relocation costs. 6 weeks ago my role was made redundant and I received a redundancy payout. We have decided to move back to Brisbane and was wondering if there is any obligation from the employer to cover any costs to move back to Brisbane?

They did offer me my previous role in Brisbane during the redundancy discussion but at the time we declined. During this discussion they did say that they would not cover any relocation costs in moving back to Brisbane.

Many Thanks

Sadly there is no requirement via legislation or case law to make them do this.

Especially if there was an offer to stay on in some capacity, negating an argument that they were acting harshly.

Please accept.