Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

My partner has a 14 year old son from a previous relationship

My partner has a 14 year old son from a previous relationship that he's paid child support for since his son was 6 months old. Very minimal contact over the last almost 14 years.
We're living in Central Queesland and he is living on the Gold Coast.
Chils Support is making it hard to buy what our 4 kids need and food in the fridge and pantry each week.
Would a once off payment agreement (eg $ AU20000) with his mum be advisable? My partner pays $207 per week and has no problem paying to support his son, it's just draining us in more ways than just financially. And we're sick of not having the money for what our kids need.
Hello

Yes if you can come to an agreement with respect to the up front payment, have the mother sign it and agree not to obtain further payment from your partner.

it is a very common practice and with my rough calculations will save you $20k.

She can arguably put it into a interest savings account now and watch it accumulate with interest.

Please accept.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help

All the best.