Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer

I was involved in a car accident 4 weeks ago and I havent

I was involved in a car accident 4 weeks ago and I haven't yet received an infringment notice. Police where unsure whether or not I would get one due to the circumstances. The police completed the police report on the night of the accident. 4 weeks on the police officer pulled me over to tell me he would be around tomorrow to issue me with an infringment notice. He did not show up the next day. What rights do I have? How long do they have to issue an infringment notice?
Hello and thank you for your question.

Many offences have no limitation period at all, and even though some traffic type offences do have a limitation period it will almost certainly be at least a 6 month limitation period, so unfortunately you will just have to wait and see.

That said, the more time passes without your having received an infringement notice the less likely one will be issued, and it can only be a positive thing that to date no ticket has been issued.

I trust the above assists your understanding.

Please rate my answer so I can be paid by the website operator.

Please note I am only paid if you rate me with three or more stars/smileys.

Thank you and good luck.