Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer

We have the benefit of an easement authorising a drain within

We have the benefit of an easement authorising a drain within four feet of a neighbour's property.
The neighbour planted a tree over/adjacent to a drainage pipe within the easement. The tree roots are blocking water flow.
How should I go about getting appropriate legal advice, or can you provide?
Thanking you in anticipation.

Hello and thank you for your question.

If you neighbour's tree is damaging the pipes on either your own property or which pass through an easement on their property then legally you are entitled to have them pay for any reinstatement costs, and may be able to obtain orders requiring the neighbour to take steps to prevent further damage of this type occurring again.

Generally proof of this would need to be obtained by a report identifying the presence of tree roots penetrating the pipes and the source of the roots.

If you cannot negotiate a satisfactory outcome with your neighbour you can take action against them in the local court, but you would realistically need to engage a lawyer to assist you with this.

I note that you have not rated my answer.

I have tried to assist you and it appears I have answered your question comprehensively. It is only fair that you now rate my answer so that I can be paid, by Just Answer, for my time and effort. I am only paid if you rate my answer positively.

Please note it is the website operator that pays me out of the funds you previously paid. It costs you nothing extra to rate my answer.

Thanks in advance,