Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland
17651911

My partner had an horrific custody case over 10 years ago,

My partner had an horrific custody case over 10 years ago, and his ex-wife was given custody of their 4 children. Two ran away to live with him about 10 years ago, and the final two (who were much younger) have been trying to talk their dad into letting them run away to him also. He has deterred them (partly because the whole family law experience terrifies him), but it is clear that his 14 year old son is being abused at home, and is at crisis point. He has asked his father to go for custody of him. Presently their dad has only 4 hours fortnightly with those two children aged 13 and 14, but has remained engaged, accessible and always represses his true feelings re their mum whilst in their presence. His son is desperate, and in the interim we have referred him to a kids helpline. If court is initiated, and a family report is done concluding that my step-son is indeed being abused, what rights, and what likelihood would he have for his desired outcome? Thanks
If court is initiated, and a family report is done concluding that my step-son is indeed being abused, what rights, and what likelihood would he have for his desired outcome?

If it is found or suspected that he is being abused, then there would be a high likelihood that Child Protection would put the boy in his father's custody while the allegations of abuse are investigated.

Should you have any other questions, please let me know.

If you're satisfied with the results of your question, then I'll ask you to please provide positive feedback so that I will get credit for the time spent on your question. Your question can continue even after you leave positive feedback, so if you have any follow up questions please don't be afraid to ask.