Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer

is it illegal to dive an uninsured vehicle in QLD,aged 17years

is it illegal to dive an uninsured vehicle in QLD,aged 17years on provisional licence?.

Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Sean replied 12 months ago.

Yes, this is illegal. Section 20 of the Motor Vehicle Accident Insurance Act states that a person must not drive an uninsured motor vehicle on a road or in a public place. The maximum penalty is an $8,000 fine. This applies to drives of all ages and drives on a provisional license.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

The answer you give is puzzelling.This is not a known law.I am not referring to third party compulsory insurance .And I am in QLD.I now am liable for an $8000 fine as is many people.My situation happened on private property.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Relist: Other.
a 17 yr old(p.plate) crashed my car and i'm told I am liable for a $8000 fine for not being insured??
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Relist: Other.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
neeed clarification of this answer.
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 12 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question.

Hello, the previous lawyer was referring to the following section:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_act/maia1994243/s20.html

No doubt he was assuming you meant third party insurance on a road or public place, but if you meant on private property, which was not otherwise open to the public, then the above section does not apply and there is no law which strictly prohibits you from driving on private land.

Note, however, that even on privately owned land, you do need insurance if the land is open to the public, such as in the carpark of a private retail business, since such areas are still considered public roadways even if they are publicly owned.

A paddock on a private farm, however, is not a public roadway and there is no law that prevents unlicensed drivers from driving vehicles on such property provided they have the permission of the land and vehicle owners.

That said, vehicle and land owners who allow unlicensed driving in their vehicle or on their land may expose themselves to negligence claims in the event of an accident and should consider this before allow such activities.

I trust the above assists your understanding.

Please rate my answer so I can be paid by the website operator.

Please note I am only paid if you rate me with three or more stars/smileys.

Thank you and good luck.

Patrick
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I'm sorry I still don't have an answer .My vehicle is registered .Hence it has third party compulary insurance.A P Plate driver crashed my car. .Am I breaking the law for not being insured for vehicle damage?.

Expert:  replied 12 months ago.
Apologies if I somewhat misunderstood your question.

No, there is no law requiring you to have your vehicle insured for property damage so you have not broken any law just because you did not have the car insured for property damage.

Thank you and good luck.

Patrick
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience: Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer