Sean, Experienced lawyer
Experience:  Law degree with 1st class honours from Australian National University.
70453545

I have been demoted to a lower job. I have for the past eight

I have been demoted to a lower job. I have for the past eight years been on a pay rate that is higher than the job ive been demoted to. Iam sixty years old this year and i am paying my house off i brought three years ago. I will not be able to do this if my wage is lowered. I live on my own, can they do this to me?

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to assist you with this.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that it is a breach of contract for your employer to demote you and reduce your pay rate. You could actually use is as a case for constructive dismissal and bring an unfair dismissal claim. However, you want to keep your job so it wouldn't come to this, but your union certainly has a strong position to speak to your employer from.

So no, they can't do this to you and your union should be able to require your employer to at least pay you at your previous rate, if not put you back in your previous position. If not, you can bring an action against your employer.

So I think you don't need to stress because you have a strong position.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,