Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland

The Metropolitan Fire & Emergency Services Board has sent my

The Metropolitan Fire & Emergency Services Board has sent my friend a demand letter to recover a debt for services of putting out a fire at my friend's business. The incident happened late 2012 and new legislation passed in July 2013. How is this possible for a fire levy to occur retrospectively?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Brisbane-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Can you please attach a copy of the letter your friend received so I can have a look?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brisbane Lawyer

It is a Complaint and Statement of Claim stating that under s 66 of the Metropolitan Fire Brigades Act 1958 that my friend is liable to pay the debt for expenses in providing fire fighting services. The incident occurred in late 2012. Am I correct that only the law passed this year?

I have a hard copy only sorry.

Unfortunately you are not correct. Section 66 was enacted in 2010.

I'm sorry, and I wish I had better news for you.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me if I were to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

As such, if you are satisfied with my effort in answering your question, then I'll ask that you please provide positive feedback.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So therefore the fee is mandatory correct? Even if you have no insurance?

Expert:  Brisbane-Lawyer replied 12 months ago.
Yes, unfortunately that is correct.

Please don't forget to leave positive feedback so that I will get credit for the time spent on your question.
Experience: I did my law degree at the University of Queensland