Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland
17651911

If you default on a student loan in the US and you are licensed

If you default on a student loan in the US and you are licensed to practice as a psychologist in Australia, can your license be revoked in AU and if you're on a Visa or permanent resident, or even become a citizen of australia, how would this affect you in Australia? I'm aware that there are some serious repercussions in the States, credit, jobs, licensure etc, however - what if you're not licensed in the states and you're licensed overseas, such as NZ or AU?
If you default on a student loan in the US and you are licensed to practice as a psychologist in Australia, can your license be revoked in AU

No, it cannot. And defaulting would not affect your visa application in Australia either.

If you're satisfied with the results of your question, then I'll ask you to please provide positive feedback so that I will get credit for the time spent on your question. Your question can continue even after you leave positive feedback, so if you have any follow up questions please don't be afraid to ask.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would this affect anything in Australia? Employment? Buying a house? Wages? Having a vehicle? I know that what bank accounts and items I have in the states can be affected if payment arrangements are not made.
No, it wouldn't affect anything at all in Australia. If the loan had been taken out in Canada or England it would, because those countries have treaties with Australia so you could be sued here for debts acquired there. But the USA didn't sign on to that treaty, so there is nothing they can do about it except to go after your assets in the USA if you have any.

Please don't forget to leave positive feedback so that I will get credit for the time spent on your question.