Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland
17651911

What is the legal obligations of western Australia mining if

Customer Question

What is the legal obligations of western Australia mining if a employee needs to have a biospy for cancer of the cervix
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Brisbane-Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
The employee can use up their sick leave for the time required for the medical procedure, including recovery. If it takes longer than the amount of sick leave available, usually the mining company will give an additional 4 weeks unpaid leave. And if it take longer than that, they are lawfully entitled to terminate employment.

I'm sorry, and I wish I had better news for you.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me if I were to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

As such, if you are satisfied with my effort in answering your question, then I'll ask that you please provide positive feedback.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I inform the mine manager if I have already told someone of importance in the chain of command. Can they terminate me before I get the results from biospy. I truly believe I am going to be ok. But it is still a concern

Yes, you should inform the manager about this and not just the person ahead of you in the chain of command. If they terminate you over this, you would have a strong case to make a claim for unfair dismissal through Fair Work Australia.

Should you have any other questions, please let me know.

If you're satisfied with the results of your question, then I'll ask you to please provide positive feedback so that I will get credit for the time spent on your question. Your question can continue even after you leave positive feedback, so if you have any follow up questions please don't be afraid to ask.