Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
61534878

Hello, I recently applied for a job with the Education Department

Hello, I recently applied for a job with the Education Department in South Australia. I had to submit a resume and a 1500 word application to the school. Despite having met all the criteria for this job, I have just receive notification by email, mind you we don't even get a phone call, that I would not get an interview. What are my legal options?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, employers are not under any obligation to explain why an application has been refused or even to reply to applicants they decide not to interview.

Whilst you could take action against them if you have some basis for believing that your application was rejected on the grounds of discrimination in the absence of any face to face contact or indication as to why your application was not accepted, you are unlikely to have evidence to support any such claim.

Very often applications such as yours are rejected simply because there are too many qualified applicants, so despite the fact that you may have met all the criteria for a role, if there were others who also met the criteria, it is often the case that you will miss out.

I appreciate this may not be the answer you were hoping for, however, it does reflect the legal reality of your situation.

If there is further information or follow up questions you require then please ask and I will try to assist you further, otherwise please rate my answer so that I can be paid by the website operator for my time.

Please note I am only paid if you rate me with three or more stars/smileys.

Thank you and good luck.

Patrick
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience: Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer