How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5318
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I co-own a house with a mate and he lives there with his

Resolved Question:

Hi, I co-own a house with a mate and he lives there with his girlfriend. The house has just been raided for drugs and they obviously found some stuff because she has to go to court. Since the raid she assumed that it was me and sent me a facebook message abusing me. I have known the drug use has been going on for a while but just don't know what to do. I have wanted to kick her out but since she in the girlfriend of a co-owner I did not know my rights. I have moved out of my house due to her living there. She is psycho!!!! and I did not feel comfortable living in my own home. Please help me!!!
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 3 years ago.
How did you come to co own the property and is there any formal agreement in place governing your rights and obligations as co owners?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We were 2 mates who decided to build a house together. We both lived in it and then he met this girl and then she moved in. Night mate ever since!!! The only formal agreement is we have signed with regard to the house is the home loan.


Expert:  Patrick H. replied 3 years ago.
Hello again.

As co owners both of you are legally entitled to occupy the property and can each invite guests to stay with you, even if the other owner objects.

Unfortunately this does often lead to a situation where one owner will be using the property in a way which the other owner disapproves, or will be having guests which the other owner does not approve. Without a formal agreement as to how to deal with such a situation the unhappy owner has only two legal options. Put up with the problem, or force the sale of the property.

If the other owner or their guests are making your your ownership of the property unbearable, then you do have the option of forcing the sale of the property. To sell the property both owners normally have to agree, but if one of the owners refuses, an application can be made to the Supreme Court which will generally order that the property be sold so that each owner can realise their equity in the property.

With that in mind, I would suggest you discuss your concerns regarding the property with the other owner and make it clear that you will have to press for the sale of the property unless you can reach a satisfactory compromise as to how the property is used, and who is allowed to stay on the property. So you might might indicate that unless the drug use on the premises ceases, or this particular guest ceases residing on the property, you intend to force the sale, and will obtain court orders to that effect if necessary.

Hopefully some compromise can be reached but if not then you will need to either obtain the other owners agreement to sell the property or will need to engage a lawyer to prepare an application to the Supreme Court for the sale of the property.

I appreciate this may not be the answer you were hoping for, however, it does reflect the legal reality of your situation and I trust assists your understanding as to how to proceed.

If there is further information or follow up questions you require then please ask and I will try to assist you further, otherwise please rate my answer so that I can be paid by the website operator for my time.

Please note I am only paid if you rate me with three or more stars/smileys.

Thank you and good luck.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I cannot pack her stuff up and tell her to go? Also we have two other rooms in the house we want to rent out. But she has some stuff in there. Can I ask her to move out of the rooms that she does not actually sleep (rent) in?

Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
If both owners want her out they can demand she leave, but she is allowed to stay if either of you have consented to her staying. This may be unfair, but the law assumes that when parties become joint owners that absent an agreement to the contrary, the parties both have full rights to occupy and live in the premises, and it is irrelevant that one party effectively uses the property more than the other.

The fact you can force the sale of the property, however, does give you considerable leverage to negotiate a compromise with the other owner, but until you do you won't be able to force her to leave unless the other owner also agrees to her leaving.

Please rate my answer.

Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5318
Experience: Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Patrick H. and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Deborah Awyzio

    Deborah Awyzio


    Satisfied Customers:

    Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Deborah Awyzio's Avatar

    Deborah Awyzio


    Satisfied Customers:

    Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
  • Sean's Avatar


    Experienced lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Law degree with 1st class honours from Australian National University.
  • JamesG's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Admitted Lawyer of the Supreme Court of New South Wales. Practising in Victoria.
  • Darren Kruse's Avatar

    Darren Kruse


    Satisfied Customers:

    Practising in in Personal Injury, Workcover, Civil Disputes, Family, Wills and Estates and Criminal law.
  • Brisbane.Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer of the Federal and High Courts of Australia; Lawyer of the Supreme Court of Qld
  • kmslaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 15 years legal experience behind me and I graduated from the University of Sydney with First Class Honours in Arts/Law.
  • Jared Pereira's Avatar

    Jared Pereira


    Satisfied Customers:

    Principal Solicitor at Pivot Business Lawyers