How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H. , Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5323
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if I buy a property under value in a family dispute also

Customer Question

if I buy a property under value in a family dispute

also if he has some money and transfers it to anotherrs persons account

can the fami;y court take the property and the money from me

my email
[email protected]
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 3 years ago.
There are many situations in which a court can recover money which has been transferred.

So you will need to elaborate on your situation and the reasons you are concerned in order for me to sensibly comment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


They have split up and split all assest includind there original property 50/50 but the wife has taken his personal jewellery and other personal property which was not in the agreement value approx $200,000.00

His two children are all married and have children of there own and both have there own houses and have morer assets than he has.

His wife has bought a unit in Melbourne and the husband has bought a house in Cairns.

Now her solicitor wants to obtain more assets from the hasband.

He has been advised to sell his house and transfer his money

or form a personal trust


He was also advised buy his solicitor to lay criminal charges against his wife for stollen jewelly but he wants to move on withy his life


Can the wife take more than the

50/50 split that was originally agrreed


That is why he wants to sell his assets to someone he can trust.


If she cannot take more than the 50/50agreed there is no need for hikm to sell his house


the property I will buy it outright and pay stamp duty


Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
There are two issues which will decide whether the wife can claim more than 50/50 in the original agreement:

Firstly the wife will have to set aside the original agreement. This may be possible if the agreement was made without the parties being independently advised (which is a requirement of the Family Law Act) or if the agreement was induced by fraud on the part of the husband (such as because he failed to fully disclose his financial situation and assets).

Secondly, if the agreement can be set aside, she will only be entitled to more if the court considers that she ought to have been entitled to more than 50%. Under the family law act the court determines what a fair apportionment of the total asset pool should be having regard to the financial and non financial contributions of the parties, and then adjusting for considerations such as where one party will be caring for the children of the marriage, or where a party has health issues which would prevent them from adequately supporting themselves. So unless these considerations warrant the wife receiving a greater than 50% share she will not be able to claim anything more than she has received even if the original agreement was defective.

Assuming she is entitled to a greater share, and the original agreement was not legally binding for some reason, then it is possible that she could be awarded a further share of the husbands assets. If his remaining assets are inadequate to meet the courts assessment of his obligations, then the court could consider recovering money or assets from third parties, but generally only if the court were satisfied that such assets or money were not disposed of for less than a commercial basis, or in a way intended to defeat any future claim. In short if you acquire money or assets from the husband in circumstances which are not genuine dealings, the court might recover such assets if they are needed to meet any further property order against the husband.

Of course, if you pay the full commercial value of the house then you should be safe from any such claim.

I trust the above assists your understanding.

If there is further information or follow up questions you require then please ask and I will try to assist you further, otherwise please rate my answer so that I can be paid by the website operator for my time.

Please note I am only paid if you rate me with three or more stars/smileys.

Thank you and good luck.


Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5323
Experience: Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Patrick H. and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank for your advice it.s advice I have been given before


The husband is in pannic mode both are on a pension and both are ill.

Expert:  Patrick H. replied 3 years ago.
How long ago did they divorce?

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Deborah Awyzio

    Deborah Awyzio


    Satisfied Customers:

    Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Deborah Awyzio's Avatar

    Deborah Awyzio


    Satisfied Customers:

    Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
  • Sean's Avatar


    Experienced lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Law degree with 1st class honours from Australian National University.
  • JamesG's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Admitted Lawyer of the Supreme Court of New South Wales. Practising in Victoria.
  • Darren Kruse's Avatar

    Darren Kruse


    Satisfied Customers:

    Practising in in Personal Injury, Workcover, Civil Disputes, Family, Wills and Estates and Criminal law.
  • Brisbane.Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer of the Federal and High Courts of Australia; Lawyer of the Supreme Court of Qld
  • kmslaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 15 years legal experience behind me and I graduated from the University of Sydney with First Class Honours in Arts/Law.
  • Jared Pereira's Avatar

    Jared Pereira


    Satisfied Customers:

    Principal Solicitor at Pivot Business Lawyers