Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

landlord signs rental document but also signs as witness to

landlord signs rental document but also signs as witness to contents of the rental agreement. is the rental agreement legal and binding?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning,

Thank you for your question. To Introduce myself I am a sydney based Solicitor and will do my best to provide you with relevant information to assist you

You can use that document as evidence of the agreement between you and the landlord.

Are they denying they have an agreement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK and no they are not denying.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

but is the document binding and demand cancellation and return of bond?

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning

Yes it is binding. You want to terminate the lease?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, terminate the lease

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning

Has your lease expired? How long does it have to run? Has the landlord breached any part of it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not yet, 2months to go and breached only in minor detail

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning

You cannot terminate on minor breaches. You can give 3 weeks notice 3 weeks before the end of the lease and leave when it ends. This is the best course. It will cost you more to try and get orders form courts to be bale to leave. You are liable to pay rent to the end of the lease.

I would suggest you ride it out and 3 weeks before the end you can give him notice that you will be leaving at the end of the term.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok and thank you

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning

You are very welcome and thank you for using my services.

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback

Leon, Solicitor
Experience: BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)