Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

My marriage was destroyed by a catholic school principal having

Customer Question

My marriage was destroyed by a catholic school principal having an affair with my wife using the Catholic emails to date her and inappropriate touching at a catholic conferrence
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening

Thank you for your question. To Introduce myself I am a sydney based Solicitor and will do my best to provide you with relevant information to assist you.

What exactly are you after?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to sue for pain and suffering

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening

Unfortunately the law does not allow for this.

You cannot sue him for what he has done.

I know this is not what you want to hear but their is no law that permits this.

If he has breached his position at work then you can report this and the employer should reprimand him for the breach.

But unfortunately you cannot sue him for pain and suffering.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I want to sue the Catholic Education Office

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening

You cannot sue them either.

What grounds do you think you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Failing to have proper procedures in place to stop this sort of thing happening

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening

I am sorry to say but you would not get up on that type of claim.

The employers cannot be held responsible for the actions of their employees that have nothing to do with their employment.

There is no duty of care that the Catholic Education Office owes to any spouse of its employees.

There is nothing that you can so I am sorry to say.

I hope this is of assistance. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I shall try it on my own and see what happens

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening

I wish you the best of luck but before you do anything speak to legal aid for more detailed advise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

which court should I use Federal or state

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
If you wish compensation you would commence proceedings in the State Courts.

Either the District or the Supreme Court.