Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland
17651911

I need to dissolve a UK civil partnership. My ex and I entered

I need to dissolve a UK civil partnership. My ex and I entered into the partnership at the British Consulate in Melbourne back in 2006. We split in January 2008 and I moved from Melbourne to Sydney in that month which measn we have lived apart for over 5 years now.

I tried completing the necessary forms and sending to the UK courts only to be informed they do not have jurisdiction which is ridiculous as their consulate performed the partnership ceremony, preapred and registered the documents.

Both my ex and I really wnat this matter sorted as soon as possible as we both now have long term partners.

The only way to achieve what you want is for one of you to move back to the UK for at least 6 months, and that partner then applying in the UK for a dissolution.

As for Australia, unless the two of you registered your civil partnership in Australia, then according to Australian records, there is no impediment to you registering your new civil partnership in NSW or Queensland.

Should you have any other questions, please let me know.

If you're satisfied with the results of your question, then I'll ask you to please provide positive feedback so that I will get credit for the time spent on your question. Your question can continue even after you leave positive feedback, so if you have any follow up questions please don't be afraid to ask.