Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

Three years ago I gave my son $130,000 under the Granny Flat

Three years ago I gave my son $130,000 under the Granny Flat Option on the condition that he provide me with a home until I was incapable of looking after myself. I did this with the knowledge and permission of CentreLink ( Social Security) I have a hand written document signed by both of us concerning the money I gave him He informed me three months ago that I was to leave and has made life so unpleasant that I felt I had no option but to do so.
Centre Link tells me I should sue him to get the money back that I gave him but I do not want to do that- however I do feel he should repay Centrelink the money that they say I now owe them- plus any shortfall in my pension until the money is paid back. Can I sue him for that amount rather than the $130,000 and would I have any likelihood of winning my case
Thank you
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello

In such matters it is imperative that you sue him for the whole amount, $130,000.00.

He has no defence as he has signed the agreement.

If you agree that he pays you a lesser amount, then so be it, you can agree for a lesser amount. It is a quite easy.

I would suggest going to a court and having the documents filed. Then negotiate with him for a lesser sum.

Please accept.
Daniel, Solicitor
Experience: Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court