Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I have been trying to get land transferred into my name. had

I have been trying to get land transferred into my name. had first meeting with lawyer on 20 Dec 2012. A will had to be probated and I gave them all required information, including original death certificates. I hand delivered these to there office personally on the 21 Feb 2013. On the 26 June 2013 I received a letter saying that they have not received these certificates' have asked them if they have lost them ,but cant get an answer. where do I go from here. Also how long should it take to transfer a block of land.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.
What state is the property in?

Has probate been granted?

Has the lawyer offered an explanation for the delay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The property is in Victoria. I don't think it has been probated.No they have not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your question. To Introduce myself I am a sydney based Solicitor and will do my best to provide you with relevant information to assist you.

Do you wish me to assist you or are you happy to wait for my colleague to return?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would be happy for anyone to help me with this.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,

You mentioned that you delivered the death certificate to the solicitor's office. Were you given any form of receipt that you deliver to them?

Are you certain that probate has been granted by the court?

If probate has been granted then the process of registering your name on title, if you are the beneficiary entitled, is very simple and quick.

Do you have anything in writing to confirm that they have obtained probate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I just handed them in to front desk. If the certificate's have been lost I don't think the will would be probated.My biggest problem is what to do if they have the death certificates.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,

Do you recall who you handed the document to? Have you attended at the office to speak to the person at reception?

It is a matter where a replacement death certificate is going to have to be applied for and the cost of this should be the firms.

If they have not responded to your calls, I would suggest you make an appointment and go and see them personally.

How long has this matter been going on for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I just handed them to girl at front desk.

At lest I now know I can get replacement certificates.

Had first meeting on 20 Dec 2012, handed certificates and other information in on 21 Feb 2013 and have had no reply since 01Jul when I asked if they had lost the imformation

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,

I would suggest that you contact them urgently and make an appointment to see them.

They should have by now, finalise the probate application and asked you, if you're the executor, to attend and executed for filing with the court.

If they have not got the death certificate, and you have not signed any documents, then it appears that they are still at the initiating stages and have done nothing.

It should also confirm with them that they do have the original will.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No thank you.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,

I'm happy to have been of assistance.

Good luck and I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know before leaving any feedback.

If I have assisted please do not forget to leave me with positive feedback.

Leon, Solicitor
Experience: BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)