Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

Would it be worth fighting a speeding fine ($250) for travelling

Would it be worth fighting a speeding fine ($250) for travelling 17 kms above the speed limit on the Hume Highway,NSW, given the following facts:
The driver is a visitor to Australia, not familiar with our roads
The car was hired from Budget, the day before,
The cruise control was set at 110
The speedometer was faulty, Budget has admitted that.
In essence, the driver fully thought she was driving at the speed limit, she was not responsible for the state of the speedometer - that was Budget's fault; and she had no experience of either the car or the road to be able to appreciate that she was over the speed limit.
Thanks. Jack
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello

yes defiantly fight it.

Get a letter from budget, confirming the issue and use it as evidence.

Courts do take such things into account and will make a judgement call.

No experience on that road, faulty speedo, rental car, all these factors are important.

17 km over is not unreasonable to think they were going the limit.

I would state that she would have no issue.

Please accept.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "I would state that she would have no issue" Please explain

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I mean that she would have no issue having the fine withdrawn.

Please accept
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. One last question then I'll accept. My daughter is going back to the US in 2 weeks. Presumably any court hearing will not take place before then. Can/Should she write to the relevant authorities, or can I appear on her behalf (even though I was not in the car at the time of the offence)?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
She can write a letter yes, it would suffice.

Please accept. :)
Daniel, Solicitor
Experience: Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court