Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court

My son is in the probationary period for a first year mechanic.

My son is in the probationary period for a first year mechanic. One of his tasks is to drive customers cars from A to B and to pick up and drop off parcels around Brisbane. He has been in accident where the damage is $3000. The company, Mazda Newstead, only cover for the first $1000 and the apprentice must pay all costs over that. This is what my son has been told. He has not signed any waiver or document as yet. He prefers to pay the amount as he is scared of losing the apprenticeship.

Could you please tell me his legal rights as my son is the only apprentice with a licence (Green P plates) and is made to drive. As you can imagine if he totally writes off a car he is told to drive my son will be in debt to this company for the rest of his life.

I wait patiently for your reply.

Kind Regards

Wendy
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello

The insurance company should cover him, i suspect there is something going on here.

I would investigate and even contact the insurance company they are with directly.

All they need to pay I would have thought is the excess.

It is unreasonable for him to pay such an amount and I would suggest he not drive any further till the insurance is resolved.

Please accept
Daniel, Solicitor
Experience: Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court