Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

I AM A USED CAR DEALER. A CUSTOMER HAS THREATENED ME BY EMAIL

I AM A USED CAR DEALER. A CUSTOMER HAS THREATENED ME BY EMAIL THAT IF I DO NOT GIVE THEM MONEY FOR WHICH THEY ARE NOT LEGALLY ENTITLED TO, THEY WILL TAKE OUT ADDS IN 3 LOCAL PAPERS STATING THAT I AM DOING ILLEGAL THINGS IN MY BUSINESS. THIS IS, OF COARSE EXTREMELY DISTRESSING AND IS OBVIOUSLY AIMED AT DISCREDITING MY GOOD NAME AND REPUTATION AND IS HIS WISH IS TO CAUSE ME FINANCIAL LOSS AND CAUSE DISTRUST TOWARDS ME AND MY BUSINESS.
CAN THIS BEEN SEEN AS AN ATTEMPT OF EXTORTION ? AND WHAT ARE MY REMEDIES ?
Hello

Send a letter back threatening defamation proceedings that will be commenced as there is nothing you have done to warrant this.

The remedy would be a civil action against them, seeking payment for loss of business and having them put in a 3 page apology in the newspaper.

It is not specifically extortion where they can be charged sadly, this is a civil matter.

I would send a letter from a lawyer now, to preempt them.

Please accept.