Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court

Many years ago I attended a conference where an accountant,

Many years ago I attended a conference where an accountant, who was running the conference,
Stated that if you made sure that, if you own a building, and had an office approx 3 metre by 3 metre in size, in that building, and this was your registered place of business, if you owned these premises , then these premises then would not be liable for land tax, if this is your registered
Place of business in your company return. I am an Australian citizen and this would
question would be the regarding Australian Tax law.

it is actually an exemption when the office occupies no more than 50% of the area.

If it is under 50%, then yes there is an exemption.

Please accept
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

I am considering renting out the top floor area of my principal place of residence.

My office, which is my principal place of business, will be in a section at the bottom of my house.

As I have another property in my name, Will I be liable for land tax

if I am renting out the top part of my house, but I will live in and keep a bedroom, kitchen and office in the bottom part of my house.

Land tax will be payable on the other home if it is not your principal place of residence.

My advice still stands regarding the other home.

Please accept.