Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court

My family and I have just recently moved into rented accommodation

My family and I have just recently moved into rented accommodation a Unit in Caringbah - now the 3 other owners of the units have indicated to us that, they, the strata have formulated rules for everyone -1) we are not allowed to park anywhere on common ground within the property unless it is an emergency. 2) we are required to park our car out on the road but only on a particular side of the road. 3) the security lights for the property and the driveway are controlled by the owners in the front Unit. Now my 2 daughters who works afternoon shift in aged care,one has been parking her small car outside the garage door, which does not impede access or egress of the driveway, she has been advised to park down the road and walk to the unit at 1030 pm. I feel it is a security risk for her and and have advised her to continue parking her car outside the garage.I will not allow their safety to be compromised. Do the strata conditions apply to us?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Such restrictions inhibit your basic right for the use and enjoyment of the land,

Parking the vehicle in front of the garage does not inhibit anyone and it is a ridiculous request to have one park on the road.

Secondly the light fixture is there and can be used for that exact reason.

My advice would be to simply ignore the request as they basically inhibit your right of the use of the land being a tenant.

Please accept
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We have been advised by the Secretary of the strata that we are obliged to comply with the majority of the tenants "rules "as per the Strata committee, we have also been told that we are not allowed to use the visitors car space as it is for visitors only - OK with that. Are you saying that we are not required to comply with these "rules " - look all we wish to do here is- go to work, come home, have dinner go to bed and have a quiet life and retire next year to our farm in the country - but these ladies who have nothing to do and all day to do it in have made us very unwelcome from the beginning ( 5 weeks)with these continual complaints they obviously need to get a life - if it wasn't so funny it would border on harassement we all work in aged care and they are more accepting of people than these "biddes"

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the regulations are simply inappropriate.

My advice has not changed.

Please accept
Daniel, Solicitor
Experience: Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court